Wednesday 23 January 2013

Bangkok

I never thought I would consider Bangkok to be clean but that was my first impression going from India to Thailand.

Bangkok airport is clean and modern with an easy train heading straight into the city. Even the taxi from the train station was easy - it was metered so we didn't have to hassle on a price and he even drove in between the lines!

I can definitely recommend http://www.theoverstay.com/ as a place to stay. It's a bit far from the Ko San Road (we got very lost trying to find our way back) but has cool graffiti all over the walls (such a creative vibe that I got back into painting and put a big faerie on the wall in our bedroom) and while we were there had live hip hop, comedy and d+b nights -  reminds me of being back in Bristol!

My favorite part of Bangkok (other than the cheap beer) was the Museum of Siam which has to be the best interactive history museum I've ever been to. The museum gave a complete history of SE Asia from a room where you could learn about archeology by using a brush on a screen and "uncover" artifacts that teach about the early civilizations to a life size cannon attached to a computer game in the "war room", cool videos on everything from Buddhism to trade routes, clothes from the 1920s that you could dress up in and finally a wall which projected your comments on the exhibition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment