Sunday 24 February 2013

Laos

I want quite sure what to expect from Laos and didn't really have any set plans of where I was going so ended up following the tourist trail... What I found in Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng was that it was more expensive than I expected and a lot more touristy.

I celebrated my birthday in Luang Prabang so signed up for another cooking course to do during the day. It wasn't as good as the Thai cooking course in Chiang Mai, mainly due to the teachers, but was still good fun. In the evening we went to Utopia followed by the bowling alley, which seems to be what every tourist in Luang Prabang does every evening, so had a good group of people I had met along the way to celebrate with.

Vang Vieng I only stopped in to go tubing down the Mekong, which was great fun, but cost the equivalent of £5 when in Don det you could rent a tube for 70p ...


Don Det the accommodation was more basic than what I'd had elsewhere in Laos, palm leaf bungalows with outside toilets, but the views made it worth it - looking out into the Mekong at 4000 islands.

Our island was so small that it had no cars and only two dirt tracks, sunrise and sunset, both with fantastic views of their namesakes. On the first day I got up to watch the sunrise and every other day spent sunset floating in a tube down the sunset side of the island.
Other than one day spent keying around the islands and visiting 2 waterfalls there wasn't much to go and do from Don Det so I was able to spend my time in personal development. I signed up to a week long online course in project management at UCLA which I completed in a day, attempted to try to learn to ride a bike and spent the rest of my time on creative studies, drawing, painting and writing. If anyone reading this ends up floating down sunset look out for Herbert the robot locked in the bungalow window - he only wants some love!

No comments:

Post a Comment