Wednesday 5 December 2012

Rishikesh magic

After the craziness of Delhi, Rishikesh seemed like paradise.
Lackshman Jula is a tourist town filled with cafes selling international food and yoga, meditation, reiki, massage or any other alternative therapy class you could want.
I started slowly by getting a massage on the first day, then trying meditation and having a reiki session but within a few days I was doing beginners yoga every day, sometimes twice.
In one of my early yoga classes my teacher lifted my back up and I collapsed in pain. Seeing the pain I'm in, he gave me a quick massage and showed me to a few stretches to do and I was better enough to carry on with the class.
It turns out that my yoga teacher is also a doctor and after a quick consultation where he took a history he told me he knew exactly what the problem was and how to fix it. I therefore signed up to a 10 day course of physical therapy involving osteopathy, reflexology, acupressure and yoga therapy.
The surrounding area of Rishikesh is beautiful to explore. The Ganges here is clean and good for swimming (if a little cold) and the sand on it's banks form beaches that sparkle. There are several waterfalls in walking distance and it's only a half day trek to punjapuri to see the sunrise and himalayas.
What struck me the most about Rishikesh was what locals described as the Rishikesh magic. The spirituality surrounding the place is so strong you can feel it and it is the perfect place to unwind.
I'm definitely going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment